Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Card Making 101/ BoBunny Designer Challenge

Hi all. Happy Tuesday and thanks for stopping by for the Paper Crafts Go-to Gal Card Making 101 Blog Hop! If you are here for Pleating with Paper 111 then you have reached the right blog:)

Today's post is a modified version of our monthly designer challenge... modified because this month we are coming to you on the last Tuesday of the month (instead of Wednesday) and in addition to featuring a favorite manufacturer we are also sharing a technique as a part of Courtney's Card Making 101 Class.

My technique for today's class is making a paper box pleat which can be used as an embellishment on a card. Pleats are basically folds formed by doubling a material (traditionally fabric) back on itself and tacking it into place.

Here's an idea for how you can use paper pleats on a card...
To make paper pleats:
1) Start with a strip of paper that measures 12" x the desired width of your pleat. Mark 1/4" or 1/2" increments on the back side of the paper. Note: the pleated paper on the card above was made by marking 1/2" increments. The pleated paper on the second sample card below was made with a 1/4" pleat.
2) Fold paper over at the first mark.
3) Then on the third mark fold the paper back toward the first fold. And on the fourth mark fold the paper in the opposite direction of the third fold. This is called a box pleat. 
4) Continue folding alternating pleats in this manner across the entire paper, using your marks as a guide or fold lines. 
5) Here you can see the paper folded. The green side is the backside (you can see the marks or guide lines) and the brown is the front.
6) Lastly, tack the pleat to itself with adhesive and then adhere it to a card.

Here's another example. Both cards use BoBunny's Welcome Home Collection/embellishments paired with kraft cardstock. I think that collection is just gorgeous!  The colors perfectly suit a vintagy elegant style and the metal embellies are simply stunning.

I hope you enjoyed your time here in Pleating with Paper 111. Don't forget to stop by Betsy, Jennifer, Julie & Kim's classrooms today. I'm certain they have some great things to share as well. Thanks for visiting today!

Products: All products used are by BoBunny with the exception of kraft cardstock by Papertrey Ink, ribbon by Michaels and sentiments stamps by Stampin' Up (top) and Technique Tuesday (bottom).

48 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a lovely technique! LOVE the pleating!

Kelly Massman said...

They are really pretty! I'm going to have to try that one of these days!

mcgeechs said...

Very pretty. I tried this once, but without measuring and just winging it. It definitely seems easier and prettier with the measuring. thanks for the tips. jeannett_mcgee@comcast.net

Agata said...

Love this idea! I love pleating but still haven't tried it on paper! Thanks for the tutorial!

Lee said...

I have not done pleating before! thanks for the tutorial - your card is lovely!

Wendy said...

Love this box pleating technique, will be trying it for sure. It really looks awesome with that BoBunny pattern paper.

Jocelyn Olson said...

What a cool technique! I've seen my mom use box pleats with fabric, but I've never thought about applying it to paper. I love the results! The cards are GORGEOUS!!

Tara Cardwell said...

Fabulous technique - thanks for sharing! If only all lessons had been that interesting I'd still be in school....

Jeanette M. said...

Paper pleating - very cool! Beautiful cards.

jengd said...

Beautiful! Simple but so elegant on these cards!

Diana N. said...

Well you certainly made making pleats look simple. I'm glad you measured them, as they certainly look more even. Some pleated cards look very un-finished because their pleats are so uneven.

Anonymous said...

I love the second card...so pretty!

Pat said...

LOVELY! Thanks for the tutorial, too!

Thebug415 said...

Very cool! TFS!

Janet L. said...

Love your cards with the pleating on them. The instructions were clear and easy to understand. I have to make 10 "Fall" cards this next week and can see this technique on them!! Thanks!

mommakatx6 said...

Beautiful cards, love the pleating, such a fun idea.

Bunnyfreak said...

Thanks for the tutorial on box pleats. The photos really helped.
http://digipage-blog.everything-digital-scrapbooking.com/

Becky Green said...

FABULOUS TECHNIQUE!!!!!!I'm glad I checked in here!!!!!! Your cards are BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks "teacher!" :)

Anonymous said...

My pleating has never turned out very good, but after your detailed photos and instructions, I'm going to give it another whirl! Thanks!
Hugs, Vicki!
vmaloney@wi.rr.com

Cindi (aka iring) said...

Such pretty cards! A special thanks for showing the pleated strip with the adhesive!

Cindy Groh said...

Love this pleating. I will have to give it a try.

Larissa Heskett said...

THANKS For sharing the pleating technique!! I LOVE this look and I can't wait to recreate it!! I LOVE your cards!! Have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

sas44 said...

Love the block pleats for paper. I've used pleating to make flowers and hey are beautifil!

Wendy said...

Cool technique...one that I'll be using on my cards and layouts!

sharon g said...

I've never thought of pleating paper before...thanks!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Super fun technique--I have seen paper pleating used--I've never tried it though! THANKS for the tutorial!

Aly's mom said...

Thanks for showing me how to do this! I have a scor-pal, but never thought of making these. I do a lot of scrapbooking and these will be great embellishments!

Lauren said...

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

Lauren
readysetlove@me.com
www.readysetlove.me

Teresa Zuehls said...

Thank you for sharing this technique with us. The cards are grogeous examples. I am sure I will be using this technique on a card soon.

Cynthia Baldwin said...

Beautiful card! The pleating adds a great effect - TFS!

Pamela Haskin said...

Thanks for the tips. Your cards are beautiful!

Alisha said...

I love your cards!!! They are so elegant, beautiful. Thank you for sharing your instructions for the folding. I have been wondering for a while how to do that.

alisha.moorenielsen@gmail.com
http://scrappin-happens.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Rzasa said...

your pleating is gorgeous!

Pam said...

I've never done this and it's so cool! I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Lindsey said...

Great idea! Thanks for the "class"!

Susan said...

Oh my! I've never used pleating on my cards before but am anxious to try now that I've seen your tutorial for box pleats. They add that extra bit of texture and interest to your cards. Thanks for sharing!

Sue D said...

Thanks for sharing how you make these pleats.

Cheryl said...

Well now I know -LOL! TFS! I love this and never knew how to get it even!

Sylvia said...

Beautiful cards, Windy! Thanks for sharing the pleating technique.

Cher said...

ohhhhh so clever...never thought to do it this way...LUV your cards too..tyvm

Luv2Homeschool said...

Thank you! This seems to be a very simple concept that really adds some class to a card. I can't wait to try it.

Kelly Booth said...

LOVE this Paper Pleating....Such a pretty card!!

Mandy said...

Beautiful cards!!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful card. I love the pleated paper.

Mippy said...

Oh my goodness that is sooooo beautiful
soooo beautiful! love it! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the paper ribbon !

Debbi said...

I love the beautiful elegance of your designs! Great combinations of all three company's products!

Pretty Patti's Papers said...

Pretty pretty card. Love the pleating effect!